-->
innovation, technology, new voices, new solutions

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Allow me to introduce you, TINU. (This is the New Uganda)

The traffic jams are just too much! The air is just too polluted! Things move too slowly! The Government is just too corrupt! Well… many would respond, TIA (or this is Africa). Now, maybe it’s because I look at my glass of Uganda Passion Juice as half-full because I cannot respond so cynically.

Before landing at Entebbe International Airport this past Monday night I realized that this particular trip to Uganda is like a first date. Well, it’s not exactly my first time visiting her, but it has been more than 1 year and from what I’ve heard Uganda is changing.

One only need to Google “CHOGM” to find that Uganda’s plans, renovations and preparations for CHOGM have been praised and criticized (more of the later) by those within and outside of Uganda. I’ve read many of these articles, editorials and blogs for background more than anything else.

Again, it’s like the hype before going out on your first date. Your friends, your family and your Facebook have their 1,000 Uganda Shillings worth to share. But, at the end of the day you have to see for yourself.

So, it’s now Thursday, and my first impression is that I AM impressed with Uganda, because positive change is underway and here’s what I learned….

A. The airport is renovated. Though of course smaller and without the busy monitors, running advertisements and chaos of a JFK Airport, the baggage claim is cleaner, mosquito’s aren’t nesting at the and the lights aren’t flickering.

B. We now have street lights and we do don’t want you to drink and drive.
In Uganda in 2002, it is reported that 15,000 road accidents took place resulting in more than 2,000 deaths. A contributor to these accidents is drunk driving. Today, sign-posts and billboards across Kampala and its surrounding suburbs bear the message “Don’t Drink and Drive.” The best part of it all is that you can actually read these signs between the lights turning from red to green. Road safety and security is becoming a key issue in Uganda.

C. Celtel has taken over the Uganda cell phone market. MTN Yellow used to be the color of Uganda and now it’s Cel-Tel Red. I’ve talked with several Ugandans who made the switch from MTN to CelTel. Why? Simply, because the quality of the connection meaning fewer dropped calls and network outages. I can vouch for this too. My CelTel SIM card is making my communications easy.

D. Freedom network. Virtually, and no pun intended, Uganda’s Wifi “Freedom” Network can be accessed throughout the majority of downtown Kampala. While you cannot always sign-on to the network so easily, maintain some patience and you’ll get on.

E. More wireless networks. While driving around Kampala City I used my Skype Phone to see how many wireless signals were in range. At any given time I was able to view 3 – 5 different wireless signals. Unfortunately, though, the Skype Phone only works on one of those wireless networks, see item D above.

F. Solar Street Lights.
Last night while driving up toward Parliament Road, a friend pointed out the solar street lights (a technology I also noticed in neighboring Rwanda). This is a BIG step and something, perhaps, that can become a permanent fixture throughout the city. From what I’ve been told, the plan is to bring more solar technologies into the downtown.


Now, of course, in some ways, the critics are right….. (I owe you at the very least a small paragraph)

A. Not all of the hotels are ready for visitors.
B. The quality and pace of service in restraunts and bars is to be desired
C. Not all of the roads have been resurfaced
D. Traffic jams persist

But, to all of you out there…… Readers, skeptics, critics and even fans of Uganda, I say to you T-I-N-U. This Is the New Uganda and I think we’ll be going out again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home